Ayelet Fishbach, PhD, is the Jeffrey Breakenridge Keller Professor of Behavioral Science and Marketing at the University of Chicago, Booth School of Business . She is the past president of the Society for the Science of Motivation and the International Social Cognition Network. She is an expert on motivation and decision making. Dr. Fishbach’s groundbreaking research on human motivation has won the Society of Experimental Social Psychology’s Best Dissertation Award and Career Trajectory Award, and the Fulbright Educational Foundation Award.
But wait, there’s more! The episode is not quite over!! We continue the conversation and you can access this exclusive content right in your podcast player feed. Head over to our Patreon page and pledge to donate just $10 a month. It’s that simple and we’ll give you good stuff as a thank you!
Ayelet Fishbach and I Discuss How to Stay Motivated and …
- Her book, Get It Done: Surprising Lessons from the Science of Motivation
- The myth of motivation is that we are failures
- Changing our situations is the most important step in staying motivated
- Setting goals for our real life situations, not our ideal situations
- Finding empathy for our future self
- Intrinsic motivation predicts sustained engagement
- Choosing powerful goals that seem exciting and not a chore
- Approach goals as opposed to avoidance goals
- How assigning numbers to goals can be powerful
- The importance of framing our goals
- Why will power alone does not work
- Strategies for managing competing goals
- Remembering that we don’t have to act on our thoughts or ideas
- The middle problem when it’s hard to see progress and stay motivated
- Using time brackets for your goals
- Why some goals never become habit
- The role of incentives in achieving goals
- How important it is to track progress
Ayelet Fishbach Links
By purchasing products and/or services from our sponsors, you are helping to support The One You Feed and we greatly appreciate it. Thank you!
If you enjoyed this conversation with Ayelet Fishbach check out these other episodes: