Eric and Quan Barry discuss the power of intentionality in life and art and some of the important themes that show up in her writing. Quan shares her insights on the importance of consciously feeding our thoughts and actions in positive ways. The conversation delves into the importance of creativity, the role of gratitude in personal growth, and the challenges of staying open to new experiences, as well as…
- How attention is a form of deep listening
- The importance of living a deliberate life
- How we can be satisfied and content AND still desire more
- The distinction between intention and ambition
- The importance of setting and keeping intentions for the path you are on
- Differentiating between setting intentions and setting goals
- Learning to trust your own voice and remaining open to other’s feedback
- Finding the nuance in labeling and defining oneself
- How a common fear is uncertainty and losing control
- The value in not being afraid to make mistakes
Quan Barry is the author of seven books of fiction and poetry including the recent novel, When I’m Gone, Look for Me in the East, which the New York Times described as, “Mesmerizing and delicate . . . a dazzling achievement.” Barry is one of a select group of writers to receive NEA fellowships in both poetry and fiction, and in 2021 was awarded the American Library Association’s Alex Award. She currently serves as Forward Theater’s inaugural Writer-in-Residence; the world premiere of her first play, The Mytilenean Debate, was part of Forward Theater’s 2021-2022 season.
Connect with Quan Barry. Website
If you enjoyed this conversation with Quan Barry, check out these other episodes:
By purchasing products and/or services from our sponsors, you are helping to support The One You Feed and we greatly appreciate it. Thank you!
But wait, there’s more! The episode is not quite over!! We continue the conversation and you can access this exclusive content right in your podcast player feed. Head over to our Patreon page and pledge to donate just $10 a month. It’s that simple and we’ll give you good stuff as a thank you!