Dr. Ken Duckworth is not only an expert in the mental health field but he has experienced firsthand the challenges of having a loved one suffering from mental illness. This experience inspired his work with the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), advocating for awareness, research, and better access to mental health care. Using his personal experiences and professional expertise, Ken continually works to fight the shame and isolation surrounding mental health conditions and to promote openness and compassion in the journey toward wellness. In this episode, Ken shares real wisdom for navigating mental health that comes directly from real people who have shared their struggles.
Eric and Ken Discuss Real Wisdom for Navigating Mental Health and…
- Understanding the significance of community support in overcoming mental health hurdles
- How to recognize the power of self-determination in mental health recovery journeys
- The importance of understanding the impact of family history on understanding mental illness
- Navigating the complexities of the mental healthcare system and tapping into available resources
- Foster open mental health conversations by hearing personal stories and experiences
- Grasping the value of a strong support network for mental well-being
- Learning to unleash your potential for self-directed growth in mental health recovery
- Demystify the mental healthcare landscape to find valuable resources
- Encouraging inclusive mental health discussions through shared personal narratives
Dr. KEN Duckworth is the Chief Medical Officer of the National Alliance on Mental Illness, also known as NAMI. Ken has been the medical director since 2003, and he also serves as Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School. He’s received numerous awards for his work to advance our knowledge and treatment of mental illness. Today, Ken and Eric discuss his book You Are Not Alone: The Nami Guide to Navigating Mental Health–With Advice from Experts and Wisdom from Real People and Families.
Connect with Dr. Ken Duckworth: Website | NAMI (National Alliance for Mental Illness)
Other Important Resources: WRAP (The Wellness Recovery Action Plan by Mary Ellen Copeland)
If you enjoyed this conversation with Dr. Ken Duckworth, check out these other episodes:
By purchasing products and/or services from our sponsors, you are helping to support The One You Feed and we greatly appreciate it. Thank you!
But wait, there’s more! The episode is not quite over!! We continue the conversation and you can access this exclusive content right in your podcast player feed. Head over to our Patreon page and pledge to donate just $10 a month. It’s that simple and we’ll give you good stuff as a thank you!