This week on The One You Feed we have Lewis Howes.
I first talked with Lewis when he reached out to us shortly after our launch of the show to introduce himself. He noticed we were from Columbus, Ohio where he used to live. It was a truly kind gesture and it was awesome for us to talk with someone so successful in the podcasting world. He invited us to join his excellent podcasting network, The Integrity Network.
We were lucky enough to make this another in person interview. We visited Lewis in his West Hollywood apartment. Lewis is one of those people who seem to have it all together and have the perfect life. But it wasn’t always that way for him. He grew up feeling alone and like he didn’t belong. He suffered awful childhood sexual abuse. He had a great deal of trouble learning to read, he thought he was stupid. An injury ended his athletic career at.
Like all people, he has faced adversity. In our conversation he discusses how he has overcome that adversity. He also names the ability to overcome adversity as the trait that most stands out from all the amazing people he has talked with on his podcast, School of Greatness.
We had a lot of great discussion before and after the podcast. Lewis pressed me on some decisions I make in my life and gave me a lot to think about. He was generous, kind and extremely helpful and suppotive.
In This Interview Lewis and I Discuss…
- The One You Feed parable.
- The importance of the environments we place ourselves in.
- Feeding the bad wolf.
- Learning to come from a place of kindness versus defensiveness.
- Growth mindset vs the fixed mindset.
- The importance of perspective.
- Avoiding the victim mindset.
- Using inner and outer feedback.
- How to be a better communicator.
- Not taking things personally.
- His definition of greatness.
- The poison of comparison.
- Growing more resilient and courageous.
- Turning things into a game.
- The goal of life.
- Falling in love with pain.
- Using pain to get stronger.
- Not resisting.
- His adventure with the US National Handball team.
- His upcoming book.
- His dream of being an Olympian.
- The key to success=consistency.
Lewis Howes Links