Alex Riley is an award-winning science writer. In 2019 he received a Best Feature award from the Association of British Science Writers for his reporting on the Friendship Bench, a project that began in Zimbabwe in 2006. Alex’s articles have been published by New Scientist, Mosaic, Nautilus Magazine, the BBC, and others.
In this episode, Alex and Eric talk about his new book, A Cure for Darkness: The Story of Depression and How We Treat It.
But wait – there’s more! The episode is not quite over!! We continue the conversation and you can access this exclusive content right in your podcast player feed. Head over to our Patreon page and pledge to donate just $10 a month. It’s that simple and we’ll give you good stuff as a thank you!
Alex Riley and I Discuss Emerging Perspectives on Depression and…
- A Cure for Darkness: The Story of Depression and How We Treat It
- Eric’s telltale sign he’s in a depressive episode
- The cause of Alex’s most recent depressive episode
- Eric and Alex’s experiences taking SSRIs for depression
- How he makes the decision to come on and off antidepressants
- His experience of psilocybin treatment for depression
- The role of nutrition in supporting his mental health and wellness
- A working definition of depression
- The connection between depression and “thinking too much”
- The “P” factor – an idea that all mental illnesses are fundamentally connected at their root
- The winners curse
- Eric’s experience with LSD earlier in life
Alex Riley links:
When you purchase products and/or services from the sponsors of this episode, you help support The One You Feed. Your support is greatly appreciated, thank you!
If you enjoyed this conversation with Alex Riley, you might also enjoy these other episodes:
Strategies for Depression with Therese Borchard
Recovering from Depression with Brent Williams
Don’t Miss Out
Subscribe to instantly download my free ebook, “The Top 5 Reasons You Can’t Seem To Stick With A Meditation Practice —And How To Actually Build One That Lasts” — plus the latest podcast delivered straight to your inbox each week!
Leave a Reply