Dr. Gabor Maté is a highly sought expert on a wide range of topics such as addiction, stress, and childhood development. He has written many books, of which several are best-sellers, including the award-winning “In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts” , “Close Encounters with Addiction”, and “When the Body Says No: Exploring the Stress-Disease Culture.” Gabor’s work has been published internationally and in more than 30 languages.
In this episode, Eric and Dr. Maté discuss his book, The Myth of Normal: Trauma, Illness, and Healing in a Toxic Culture
But wait, there’s more! The episode is not quite over!! We continue the conversation and you can access this exclusive content right in your podcast player feed. Head over to our Patreon page and pledge to donate just $10 a month. It’s that simple and we’ll give you good stuff as a thank you!
Dr. Gabor Mate and I Discuss How to …
- His book, The Myth of Normal: Trauma, Illness, and Healing in a Toxic Culture
- Defining the myths of normal
- How the increasing anxiety, depression, and other mental health issues are a result of toxic culture
- Stress and trauma can begin for a child in utero, at childbirth, and throughout childhood
- The modern stresses of our world contributes to a toxic culture
- How parents pass down their traumas to their children
- Defining trauma as a psychic wound that happens inside of you
- The healing process is the recovery of self
- Understanding the clash between attachment and authenticity
- How emotions and immune systems are part of the same system
- The importance of understanding the important link between emotions and physical health
- Trauma imposed self beliefs are the main obstacles of healing
- Remembering that healing is a lifelong process
- The 4 A’s of healing: authenticity, agency, acceptance, and anger (healthy)
Dr. Gabor Mate Links:
By purchasing products and/or services from our sponsors, you are helping to support The One You Feed and we greatly appreciate it. Thank you!
If you enjoyed this conversation with Dr, Gabor Maté, check out these other episodes: