James Clear is the author of Atomic Habits: An Easy and Proven Way to Build Good Habits and Break Bad Ones. His work has appeared in The New York Times, CBS This Morning, Time, Entrepreneur, and he has taught in colleges around the world. James is also the creator of the Habits Academy, the premier training platform for organizations and individuals that are interested in building better habits in life and work.
In Part 1 of the interview, Eric and James discuss habits and how to set yourself up for short and long-term success when it comes to behavior change.
If you’d like to make 2022 a better year for you, bring clarity to what matters most, and discover the tools to help you become the person you really want to be, Eric can help you! To book a FREE, no-pressure 30-minute Discovery call to see if working with Eric is right for you, click here.
But wait – there’s more! The episode is not quite over!! We continue the conversation and you can access this exclusive content right in your podcast player feed. Head over to our Patreon page and pledge to donate just $10 a month. It’s that simple and we’ll give you good stuff as a thank you!
James Clear and I Discuss the Compounding Nature of Habits and…
- His book, Atomic Habits: An Easy and Proven Way to Build Good Habits and Break Bad Ones
- How habits are like the compound interest of self-improvement
- Your outcomes are a lagging measure of your efforts
- How bamboo growth is like habit growth
- The importance of building a foundation of habits to see results
- How work isn’t wasted, it’s stored
- Focusing on systems rather than goals
- How the outcome is a natural consequence of habits
- How goals can create an artificial finish line
- The role of identity in behavior change
- How you choose to act leads to the kind of person you want to be
- Learning to adopt a growth mindset as opposed to a fixed mindset
- How humans are learning machines
- The 4 stages of habits: cue, craving, response, and reward
- The 4 laws of behavior change: make it obvious, attractive, easy, and satisfying
- To break a bad habit, invert the 4 laws of behavior change
James Clear Links:
Calm App: The app designed to help you ease stress and get the best sleep of your life through meditations and sleep stories. Join the 85 million people around the world who use Calm to get better sleep. Get 40% off a Calm Premium Subscription (a limited time offer!) by going to www.calm.com/wolf
If you enjoyed this conversation with James Clear, you might also enjoy these other episodes: