Steven C Hayes is Nevada Foundation Professor at the Department of Psychology at the University of Nevada. He is an author of over 35 books and over 500 scientific articles. He is considered one of the founders of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy.
In 1992 he was listed by the Institute for Scientific Information as the 30th “highest impact” psychologist in the world. His work has been recognized by several awards including the Exemplary Contributions to Basic Behavioral Research and Its Applications from Division 25 of APA, the Impact of Science on Application award from the Society for the Advancement of Behavior Analysis, and the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies.
He is best known for his book Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life: The New Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
But wait – there’s more! The episode is not quite over!! We continue the conversation and you can access this exclusive content right in your podcast player feed. Head over to our Patreon page and pledge to donate just $10 a month. It’s that simple and we’ll give you good stuff as a thank you!
In This Interview, Steven C Hayes and I Discuss…
- The One You Feed parable
- His book, Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life
- The ACT approach to therapy
- That you know if your thoughts are good or bad by the fruits that they bear
- The difference between pain and suffering
- The importance of putting the human mind on a leash
- That suffering comes from when we mishandle the present moment, and we amplify certain thoughts and feelings
- The meaning of Cognitive Fusion: when we can look only from our thoughts and not at our thoughts
- The importance of and various types of contemplative practice
- Various diffusion techniques (listed in a free episode download!)
- The concept and practice of experiential avoidance
- The full impact of acting for “short term gains with long term pains”
- The idea of creating larger behavioral patterns
- The role of values based action
Steven C Hayes Links
Get unlimited access to ALL of Calm’s content today- One You Feed listeners get 25% off a Calm Premium subscription at CALM.COM/WOLF
If you like this episode you will like these other episodes: