This week we talk to Justin Sullivan from New Model Army
Justin Sullivan is an English singer and songwriter. He is the frontman and lyricist of the British rock band New Model Army, which he formed in 1980 together with drummer Robert Heaton and bassist Stuart Morrow in their hometown of Bradford, Yorkshire. In the early 1980s he performed under the stage name of “Slade the Leveller”. Their latest record is called Between Dog and Wolf released in 2013.
In This Interview Justin and I Discuss…
- The One You Feed parable.
- Whether we really live by our values.
- How money doesn’t make us happy but we still chase it
- That human systems mimic nature.
- New Model Army songs about the weather.
- Nature vs. Nurture
- How much people can actually change.
- How education helps make the world more interesting and enjoyable.
- The inevitability of change.
How it’s always the ones that want to be saved that do all of the saving.
- The role of tribalism.
- Being raised Quaker.
- How relationships change.
- How unpredictable life can be.
- The fracturing of family today.
- How he consoles himself.
- Finding solace in nature.
- The catharsis of music.
- How people who have to pretend to be happy are often the most troubled.
- The value of gaining perspective.
- His love of Gillian Welch.
- The preciousness of life
- His love of Motown and Northern Soul music.
New Model Army Songs from the episode:
New Model Army Links