Kelly Wilson, Ph.D., is a Professor of Psychology at the University of Mississippi. He is Past President of the Association for Contextual Behavioral Science and has won the University of Mississipi’s prestigious Elsie M. Hood Outstanding Teacher Award. Dr. Wilson is one of the co-developers of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) and has written several books, including Things Might Go Terribly, Horribly Wrong: A Guide to Life Liberated from Anxiety.
In this episode, Kelly Wilson and Eric discuss his approach to helping others to become liberated from their anxiety.
But wait – there’s more! The episode is not quite over!! We continue the conversation and you can access this exclusive content right in your podcast player feed. Head over to our Patreon page and pledge to donate just $10 a month. It’s that simple and we’ll give you good stuff as a thank you!
In This Interview, Kelly Wilson and I Discuss Being Liberated from Anxiety and…
- His book, Things Might Go Terribly, Horribly Wrong: A Guide to Life Liberated from Anxiety.
- Anxiety is not as a disease or that we’re broken
- His past view of vulnerability as being the enemy
- His theory that 1 out of 2 people has experienced some form of suffering or hardship in their life
- How labels can obscure a person
- Before talking about acceptance, one must understand what really matters
- Moving in the direction towards what you love rather than just trying to eliminate symptoms.
- Suffering may be due to how our burden is being carried
- Facing our difficulties is needed to understand what courage and sacrifice look like
- Values and vulnerability are the starting place in therapy
- Identifying what would make the hardest thing worthwhile
- When we don’t know our values, identify where it hurts
- If the burden could be lifted, what would you allow?
- Reclaiming what we value by taking redemptive action
- The next right thing is acknowledging where you’ve been wrong
- Committed action is the next action that brings you back to who you want to be
- It’s all about moving in the right direction, not the distance
Kelly Wilson Links:
Peloton: Wondering if a Peloton bike is right for you? You can get a free 30 day home trial and find out. If you’re looking for a new way to get your cardio in, the Peloton bike is a great solution. Eric decided to buy one after his 30-day free trial. Visit onepeloton.com
Indeed: Helps you find high impact hires, faster, without any long term contracts and you pay only for what you need. Get started with a free $75 credit to boost your job post and get in front of more quality candidates by going to www.indeed.com/wolf
Best Fiends: Engage your brain and play a game of puzzles with Best Fiends. Download for free on the Apple App Store or Google Play.
If you enjoyed this conversation with Kelly Wilson on Being Liberated from Anxiety, you might also enjoy these other episodes: