Oliver Burkeman is an award-winning writer for The Guardian and his book, The Antidote: Happiness for People Who Can’t Stand Positive Thinking explores the upsides of failure, difficulty, and imperfection – which we discussed in our first interview with Oliver several hundred episodes ago. Each week in his column in The Guardian, “This Column Will Change Your Life”, he writes about social psychology, self-help culture, productivity, and the science of happiness. In this interview, he discusses his take on time management in today’s world.
But wait – there’s more! The episode is not quite over!! We continue the conversation and you can access this exclusive content right in your podcast player feed. Head over to our Patreon page and pledge to donate just $10 a month. It’s that simple and we’ll give you good stuff as a thank you!
In This Interview, Oliver Burkeman and I Discuss…
- His take on the modern time management world
- That technologies of efficiency don’t seem to bring peace of mind
- How your to-do list is never going to go away
- That having emails in your inbox is not necessarily a problem
- Time management whispers of the possibility of true peace of mind
- Thinking of “a simpler time”
- How processing through your inbox is like climbing up an infinitely long ladder
- That tough choices have to be made when deciding what to do with your time – no matter how many productivity assists you have
- How it’s often easier to spend time on trivial stuff than the big projects
- David Allen’s book, Getting Things Done
- How no one beats them self up for not being able to jump a mile in the air because they never thought they could in the first place
- Similarly, accepting the real limitations in how much time you have and how much you can get done is incredibly liberating
- Productivity advice from Warren Buffet
- The role social media plays in our expectations about how productive we could or should be
- How digital distractions help us numb out
Oliver Burkeman Links
Daily Harvest – they deliver absolutely delicious organic, carefully sourced, chef-created fruit and veggie smoothies, soups, overnight oats, bowls and more! To get 3 cups free in your first box, visit www.daily-harvest.com promo code feed
TalkSpace – the online therapy company that lets you message a licensed therapist from anywhere at any time. Therapy on demand. Non-judgmental, practical help when you need it at a fraction of the cost of traditional therapy. www.talkspace.com Promo Code WOLF to get $45 off your first month.
The Great Courses Plus – thousands of courses in virtually any topic and you can listen on demand anywhere! Get a full month for FREE at thegreatcoursesplus.com/wolf
If you liked this episode, you might also enjoy these other episodes: